Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Tech

    Airtel Plays Down Failure to Win 5G Spectrum Auction in Nigeria

    Segun Ogunsanya, CEO, Airtel Africa, has backed his company’s decision to pull out of Nigeria’s 5G spectrum auction as the bidding surpassed $270 million per operator, claiming the business retained ample capacity to meet customer demand.

    In a statement, the executive noted the business case for the new network technology across sub-Saharan Africa was evolving.

    Airtel Africa remains “committed to driving broadband capacity in our various markets”, Ogunsanya stated.

    He added Airtel Africa would continue to track the 5G ecosystem, pointing to the relevance of affordable handsets supporting the technology and development of locally important use cases.

    “Airtel Africa retains ample capacity, spread across various spectrum bands, in Nigeria and its other markets, to continue to meet the growing data demands of our customers for many years to come,” Ogunsanya said.

    He added there were: “several potential routes available to the business to deliver even greater capacities, cost-effectively, in the long run”.

    His comments follow the conclusion of Nigeria’s auction of 5G-suitable spectrum earlier this week where MTN Group and Mafab Communications won the two allocations on offer for $273.6 million each.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    News

    Anambra State Police Command has apprehended four additional suspects linked to the brutal murder of three Cameroonian women, following confessions from two earlier detainees....