Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Trump Vows Legal Action Against BBC Over Edited Speech

    United States President Donald Trump has declared his intention to sue the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) for up to $5 billion over what he described as a “deliberate and defamatory” edit of his January 6 speech in a recent Panorama documentary.

    The BBC issued a public apology on Friday, acknowledging an “error of judgment” in the way the footage was edited. The broadcaster stated that the programme would not be aired again in its current form across any BBC platforms. However, it rejected the notion that the edit constituted defamation.

    Speaking to GB News, President Trump said he felt “an obligation” to pursue legal action to prevent similar incidents in the future. “I’m not looking to get into lawsuits, but I think I have an obligation to do it. This was so egregious,” Trump said.

    The BBC had been given until Friday to respond to Trump’s demand for a full retraction, public apology, and financial compensation ranging from $1 billion to $5 billion. While the apology was issued, the broadcaster stopped short of offering compensation or admitting to defamation.

    BBC Chairman Samir Shah reportedly sent a personal letter of apology to the White House, but the corporation maintains that the documentary’s edit, though regrettable, does not meet the legal threshold for defamation.

    Trump confirmed to journalists outside the White House that his legal team is preparing to file suit “probably sometime next week.”

    The controversy has sparked political reactions in the United Kingdom, with former Prime Minister Liz Truss criticizing the BBC as a “laughingstock” and expressing support for Trump’s legal challenge.

    The Panorama documentary in question allegedly removed Trump’s call for peaceful protest and emphasized more inflammatory remarks, which critics say misrepresented the President’s intent during the events leading up to the Capitol riot.

    Ravenewsonline reports that legal experts are watching the case closely, as it may set a precedent for international media accountability and editorial standards.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    For many Nigerian publishers, the model that once sustained journalism is no longer working. Advertising, long the backbone of print, radio, and television, has...

    Tech

    Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called for stronger collaboration with the judiciary to safeguard telecommunications infrastructure, tackle cybercrime and promote online safety amid Nigeria’s...

    News

    The recent access to digital tools and facilities in Lakowe’s Iwerekun Junior Secondary School has become a thing of pride. The school is one...

    News

    Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), acting as liquidator of the defunct Gulf Bank Plc, has instituted two separate suits against Wema Bank Plc over...