Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    U.S. Bars Nigerians, Others from Green Card and Citizenship Applications

    United States government has suspended the processing of green card and citizenship applications submitted by Nigerians and nationals of several other countries newly added to President Donald Trump’s expanded travel ban.

    U.S. Bars Nigerians, Others from Green Card and Citizenship Applications

    Green Card

    According to a report by CBS News, the directive was issued to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) following a proclamation signed by Trump on Tuesday, Dec. 16, which further restricted entry into the United States for nationals of countries classified as high risk.

    The White House said the affected countries had “demonstrated, persistent, and severe deficiencies in screening, vetting, and information sharing” that threaten U.S. national security and public safety.

    Nigeria was among 15 additional countries placed under partial restrictions, while nations such as Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, South Sudan, Syria, Laos and Sierra Leone were placed under full entry bans.

    The suspension also applies to nationals of previously restricted countries including Afghanistan, Burundi, Chad, Cuba, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Myanmar, Somalia, Sudan, Togo, Turkmenistan, Yemen and Venezuela.

    Trump had earlier, on Oct. 31, designated Nigeria a “country of particular concern” following allegations of religious persecution.

    The latest action expands restrictions announced in June, with Laos and Sierra Leone moved from partial limits to a full entry ban, prompting USCIS to extend the freeze on immigration petitions, including applications for permanent residency and citizenship.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday adjourned the $150 million dollars suit filed by Chianugo Peter, a Nigerian, against Google LLC and GoDaddy.com...