Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    US Reverses Visa Restrictions on Ghana Following Deportee Agreement

    The United States has reversed its visa restrictions on Ghana after the West African country agreed to accept west Africans deported by the United States.

    Ghana’s foreign minister made the announcement on Friday, September 26.

    “The US visa restrictions imposed on Ghana” have been “reversed”, Ghanaian Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa announced Friday.

    In a post on X, Ablakwa said the “good news” was delivered by US officials on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

    The reversal was the result of “months of high-level diplomatic negotiations”, Ablakwa said.

    Earlier this month, amid President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown, Ghanaian President John Mahama revealed that the country was accepting west Africans deported by the United States.

    US President Donald Trump has made so-called “third-country” deportations a hallmark of his anti-immigration crackdown, sending people to countries where they have no ties or family.

    Accra has insisted it has received nothing in return for taking in the deportees, though Mahama acknowledged that the deal was struck as relations were “tightening”, with Washington imposing tariffs as well as visa restrictions in recent months.

    In June, the United States announced restrictions on most visas for nationals from Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana and Nigeria, restricting them to three months and a single entry.

    “Ghanaians can now be eligible for five-year multiple entry visas and other enhanced consular privileges,” Ablakwa said on September 26.

    At least 14 west Africans have been sent to Ghana since the beginning of September, though neither Accra nor Washington has made details of the arrangement public.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    News

    Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has launched an immediate investigation into the data processing activities of popular e-commerce platform Temu, amid allegations of violating...

    Sports

    Organizers of the 2026 Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics are rushing to replenish free condom stocks at the Athletes’ Village after an initial 10,000 units vanished...

    News

    Three suspects have appeared before the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court facing charges of aggravated robbery and premeditated murder in connection with the killing of 22-year-old...

    News

    Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, at the Federal High Court in Abuja over the...