Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Man, 39, becomes first person in England and Wales to be convicted of cyber-flashing after sending picture of his genitals to schoolgirl, 15

    WhatsApp

    A 39-year-old man has become the first person in England and Wales to be convicted of the new offence cyber-flashing, after he sent unsolicited photos of his genitals to a 15-year-old girl.

    Nicholas Hawkes sent unsolicited photos of his genitals to a 15-year-old girl and a woman on February 9, the CPS said.

    The woman took screenshots of the image on WhatsApp and reported Hawkes to Essex Police the same day.

    Hawkes admitted at Southend Magistrates’ Court to two counts of sending a photograph or film of genitals to cause alarm, distress, or humiliation, the CPS said.

    He was convicted at Monday’s hearing and was remanded in custody to be sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on March 11.

    Sefer Mani, from CPS East of England, said: ‘Cyber-flashing is a grotesque crime and the fact we were able to deliver swift justice for the two victims shows the new law is working.

    ‘Everyone should feel safe wherever they are and not be subjected to receiving unwanted sexual images.

    ‘I urge anyone who feels they have been a victim of cyber-flashing to report it to the police and know that they will be taken seriously and have their identities protected.’

    Victims of cyber-flashing and image-based abuse receive lifelong anonymity under the Sexual Offences Act from the point they report the offence.

    Hawkes is a registered sex offender until November 2033 after he was convicted and given a community order for sexual activity with a child under 16 years old and exposure last year at Basildon Crown Court, the CPS said.

    He will also be sentenced for breaching the order when he is sentenced in March.

    Cyber-flashing is where an offender sends unsolicited sexual pictures to someone via social media. It became an offence on January 31 this year as part of the Online Safety Act.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Wednesday sentenced former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, to 75 years imprisonment over the...

    Tech

    Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called for stronger collaboration with the judiciary to safeguard telecommunications infrastructure, tackle cybercrime and promote online safety amid Nigeria’s...

    Tech

    The organizing committee of the 2026 Nigeria DigitalSENSE Forum (NDSF) on Internet Governance for Development (IG4D) is proud to announce Dr. Olusola Teniola as...

    Tech

    For many Nigerian publishers, the model that once sustained journalism is no longer working. Advertising, long the backbone of print, radio, and television, has...