Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Sports

    Lionel Messi Wins Record 7th Men’s Ballon d’Or

    Lionel Messi has won the men‘s Ballon d’Or for the seventh time, a record.

    Messi, who left Barcelona as a free agent to join Paris Saint-Germain in the summer, received the award for the world’s best male footballer on Monday night in Paris after another record 12 months for the club and the country.

    He saw competition from Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    “I am very proud to win the French Ballon d’Or once again,” Messi said. “It’s incredible to win it for the seventh time. I would like to thank my family, my friends and all the people who follow me and always support me, because without them I could not have done it ”.

    Messi, who wore a sparkly tuxedo at the ceremony in Paris, picked up the honor for a record sixth time in 2019, one ahead of great rival Cristiano Ronaldo, before the awards were canceled in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 33-year-old Polish international Lewandowski, who was expected to win last year, finished second after scoring 38 goals in 30 league games for Bayern in 2021.

    Meanwhile, Jorginho finished third after a remarkable year in which he helped Italy achieve glory at the belated Euro 2020 after lifting the Champions League trophy with Chelsea in May.

    Chelsea also won the club of the year award for having the most players nominated in all categories.

    Manchester City striker Raheem Sterling was the top-ranked England player for the men’s award, finishing in 15th place, with compatriots Mason Mount, Harry Kane and Phil Foden in 19th, 23rd and 25th respectively.

    Taken from Skysports

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    News

    Anambra State Police Command has apprehended four additional suspects linked to the brutal murder of three Cameroonian women, following confessions from two earlier detainees....