Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    World

    Trump Halts Trade Talks with Canada Over Ontario Ad Featuring Reagan Remarks

    U.S. President Donald Trump has announced the immediate termination of all trade negotiations with Canada, citing an advertisement by the Ontario government that uses the late President Ronald Reagan’s words to criticize tariffs.

    Trump made the announcement in a late-night post on his Truth Social platform, describing the ad as “fraudulent and fake” and accusing Canada of egregious behavior.

    “TARIFFS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE NATIONAL SECURITY, AND ECONOMY, OF THE U.S.A. Based on their egregious behavior, ALL TRADE NEGOTIATIONS WITH CANADA ARE HEREBY TERMINATED,” Trump wrote.

    The ad, produced by Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s administration, features a minute-long excerpt from Reagan’s April 1987 radio address on free trade. In the ad, Reagan warns against high tariffs, stating they lead to retaliation, trade wars, and economic collapse.

    The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Institute also condemned the ad, saying Ontario did not seek permission to use or edit Reagan’s remarks and that the message misrepresents his views.

    Ravenewsonline reports that just two weeks prior, Trump had instructed senior cabinet members to finalize a deal with Canada on steel, aluminum, and energy following a visit by Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney to the White House.

    A senior Canadian government source told Radio-Canada that Ottawa was informed of the decision shortly before Trump’s social media post.

    Trump had previously commented on the ad during a Republican gathering, suggesting that while Canada might benefit from such messaging, he believed Americans would not be swayed.

     

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), has described the power...

    News

    Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja has granted N100m bail to Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna, in the case...

    News

    Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS), in partnership with the Joint Revenue Board (JRB), has implemented a new Taxpayer Identification (Tax ID) system for all taxable...

    News

    Five persons, including two suspected gunmen, were killed following a shooting incident at a mosque in San Diego, California, on Monday. Authorities said the...