Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Bandits Abduct Nine Worshippers at Benue Catholic Church Vigil

    GUNMEN

    Suspected bandits have abducted nine worshipers in Utonkon district, Ado Local Government Area of Benue State.

    Bandits Abduct Nine Worshippers at Benue Catholic Church Vigil

    Gunmen

    The bandits stormed St. John’s Catholic Church at Ojije in Utonkon district around 2 a.m. on Sunday, February 8, 2026.

    The National Publicity Secretary of the Ufia Development Association in the LGA, Jude Onwe, said the abductors invaded the church while the victims were attending a night vigil.

    “Around 2 a.m. on Sunday, those women and youths—about nine worshippers—were abducted from St. John’s Catholic Church, Ojije in Utonkon, Ado LGA, while they were at night vigil,” he said.

    The Chairman of the local government, Sunday Oche, who confirmed the incident to Punch said the abduction occurred during a night vigil in the early hours of Sunday.

    According to him, the church was holding a 30-day vigil and regretted that organisers ignored advice to involve security operatives during night activities.

    “That is what we have been battling with. We received the sad news of the abduction, and I have mobilised all the security agencies, and we are working seriously,” he said.

    “We had earlier advised the people that whoever is conducting any activity, especially at night, must involve security agents. If people hold a program that has been going on for the past 30 days without recourse to security agencies, then they are endangered.

    “There was a similar incident where some people attempted a kidnapping, but they were chased and rescued.

    “We assure that the victims will be rescued. Our concern is that people have refused to adhere to advice to constantly involve the police whenever a night activity—be it marriage, burial, or festival—extends beyond 9 p.m.”

    Also confirming the incident, State Command spokesperson DSP Udeme Edet said that security personnel have been deployed to the area.

    “Tactical team already deployed to rescue the victims,” the PPRO added.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    World

    Ryan Breslow, Bolt Chief Executive Officer, has defended the company’s decision to dissolve its human resources department, saying the team had been “creating problems...

    Tech

    Dr.Aminu Maida, executive vice chairman and chief executive officer of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), has been confirmed as Special Guest of Honour at...

    Security & Crime

    National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered what it described as the largest clandestine methamphetamine production factory ever discovered in Nigeria, arresting 10...

    News

    The U.S. government will permanently drop tax claims against President Trump, according to a settlement document made public Tuesday, May 19, in an extraordinary...