Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Tech

    TikTok Announces Plans to Cease Operations in the U.S. by January 19, 2025 – Ravenewsonline

    TikTok has officially announced plans to cease its operations in the United States by January 19, 2025.

    “Absent such relief, the Act will take effect on January 19, 2025,” TikTok said in a Dec. 9 legal filing. “That would shut down TikTok—one of the Nation’s most popular speech platforms for its more than 170 million domestic monthly users on the eve of a presidential inauguration.”

    Last year, President Joe Biden signed into law, a legislation to remove TikTok from U.S. app stores and prohibit internet providers across the nation from allowing access to the platform if ByteDance cannot sell to an American company by Jan. 19.

    The legislation was put in place amid concerns of China possibly using TikTok to spy on U.S. residents.

    In response, TikTok filed an emergency motion for an injunction to stop the ban from taking effect, arguing that it violates the First Amendment and will generate “substantial losses,” per legal documents.

    The Supreme Court is slated to hear oral arguments on Jan. 10 over whether or not the law should be upheld.

    Meanwhile, several entrepreneurs have launched a bid to purchase TikTok, including Shark Tank’s Kevin O’Leary.

    “This isn’t just about buying TikTok’s U.S. assets,” he wrote in a Jan. 6 message on X, formerly Twitter. “It’s about something much bigger: protecting the privacy of 170 million American users.”

    O’Leary continued, “It’s about empowering creators and small businesses. And it’s about building a platform that prioritizes PEOPLE over algorithms. TikTok has immense potential, not just as a tool for creators but as a driver of meaningful economic and social impact.”

    However, O’Leary said he’ll likely need an assist from President-elect Donald Trump, who will be sworn into office on Jan. 20.

    “Trump will be who we have to work with to close the deal in the months ahead,” he explained during a Jan. 6 appearance on Fox News’ The Story with Martha MacCallum, per The Wrap. “So, I wanted to let him know—as well as others in his cabinet—that we’re doing this, and we’re going to need their help.”

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, at the Federal High Court in Abuja over the...

    News

    Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has launched an immediate investigation into the data processing activities of popular e-commerce platform Temu, amid allegations of violating...

    News

    Three suspects have appeared before the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court facing charges of aggravated robbery and premeditated murder in connection with the killing of 22-year-old...

    News

    National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji to smuggle 1.10 kilograms of cocaine to...