Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Broadcasting

    Julius Berger formally hands over N336 billion Second Niger bridge to FG

    Contractor of the Second Niger Bridge, Julius Berger, have officially handed over the Second Niger Bridge to the Federal Government.

    The 1.6 kilometres long bridge estimated to cost 336 Billion, links Anambra and Delta states.

    The project was launched on May 23, 2023, but there were ancillary roads and other construction works that needed to be done after the inauguration.

    In a short ceremony held at the toll area of the bridge over the weekend, Minister of Works Dave Umahi expressed approval of the project.

    Umahi said that the bridge is open to concession for any private company prepared to finish all associated roads, handle toll collection, and recover their investments.

    “The roads are going to be completed when we have completed the two interchanges: one is taking us off from Asaba town to cut off the traffic, and the other one is going to be done by Reynolds Construction Company Ltd to avoid Onitsha town and take you straight to Obosi,” he said.

    Julius Berger formally hands over N336 billion Second Niger bridge to FG

    For his part, the Managing Director, of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Lars Richter, said the handover was just a technical one.

    “The Main Second Niger Bridge has been completed. The toll stations are also ready for use,” Lars said.

    The idea of constructing the Second Niger Bridge emerged in 1978/79, with Shehu Shagari, then a candidate for the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), championing the proposal. Other governments have since then tried to start but didn’t go ahead.

    The bridge opened for local traffic on December 15, 2022. To accommodate the ongoing construction of connecting roads, temporary routes have been established, ensuring the bridge’s accessibility during the Christmas holidays. Currently, there are no toll fees for crossing the bridge.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    MTN Nigeria says it plans to pass fibre to eight million homes over the next three years as part of efforts to deepen broadband...

    News

    Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), has described the power...

    Sports

    Jose Mourinho has agreed terms on his return to Real Madrid, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano. The 63-year-old will return to the club...

    News

    Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja has granted N100m bail to Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna, in the case...