Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Ghana Nabs 53 Nigerians in Major Cybercrime Crackdown

    Ghanaian authorities have arrested 53 Nigerian nationals for alleged engagements in cybercrimes.

    The arrests were made in a sweeping intelligence-driven operation targeting suspected cybercrime hubs across several communities in the Greater Accra Region.

    Ghana’s Minister for Communications, Digital Technology and Innovation, Samuel Nartey George, said Sunday, Jan. 18, that the action was part of efforts to safeguard the country’s cyber space and protect its international digital reputation.

    According to the minister, intelligence gathered within the last 48 hours by the Cyber Security Authority (CSA) uncovered multiple locations allegedly being used for coordinated cybercrime activities in East Legon Hills, Afienya, Kwabenya, Weija and Tuba.

    The intelligence reportedly revealed that several young men, mostly foreign nationals, were being coerced and exploited by suspected ringleaders to carry out cyber-related crimes from these locations.

    Acting on the information, a joint security task force comprising operatives from National Security Operations, the CSA, the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters and the Ghana Police Service SWAT Unit carried out simultaneous raids on January 16 and 17, 2026.Entertainment center

    During the operation, nine Nigerians were arrested as key suspects allegedly involved in organising and coordinating the cybercrime network.

    Another 44 Nigerians were rescued from various apartments and are believed to be victims of human trafficking and cybercrime exploitation.

    Ghana arrests 53 Nigerians in large-scale cybercrime operation; laptops and guns recovered

    The minister disclosed that the rescued individuals were found operating laptops in multiple apartments, pointing to what authorities described as a well-structured and organised cybercrime syndicate.

    Searches conducted at the locations led to the recovery of several items suspected to have been used in carrying out cyber offences, including 62 laptops, 52 mobile phones and two pump-action guns.

    A location-by-location breakdown showed that five suspects were arrested in East Legon Hills, 11 in Afienya, 10 in Kwabenya, 10 in Weija and 17 in Tuba, bringing the total number of Nigerians apprehended to 53.

    “All the arrested individuals have been duly profiled and handed over to the Ghana Immigration Service for safekeeping and further investigations,” George said.

    He cautioned foreign nationals against falling for false promises of jobs or quick financial gains, urging them to verify claims made by people who lure them into Ghana under dubious pretences.

    The minister added that suspects arrested in previous operations had been profiled by the Ghana Immigration Service in collaboration with INTERPOL, with some already handed over to Nigerian authorities at the Seme border, while others are facing prosecution in Ghana.

    “Protecting Ghana’s cyber image internationally is non-negotiable,” George stated, commending the CSA and partnering law enforcement agencies for the successful operation.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) and Wigwe University are laying the groundwork for a far-reaching collaboration centred on artificial intelligence (AI) research, agricultural...

    News

    A former Executive Director of AXA Mansard, Rashidat Adebisi, has launched a strategic initiative tagged “The Re-Architecture Project” aimed at aligning Nigeria’s insurance and...

    News

    Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has launched an immediate investigation into the data processing activities of popular e-commerce platform Temu, amid allegations of violating...

    Sports

    Organizers of the 2026 Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics are rushing to replenish free condom stocks at the Athletes’ Village after an initial 10,000 units vanished...