Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Broadcasting

    EFCC Tracks CBEX Crypto Scheme Funds Across Four Countries

    Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it has traced proceeds from the failed CBEX crypto bridge exchange scheme to at least four countries, noting that full restitution to victims may be impossible.

     

    EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed this during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Wednesday.

    He revealed that the agency had frozen a number of accounts linked to the fraudulent scheme and had made significant progress in ongoing investigations.

    “We have been able to block some accounts. We have been able to freeze some funds, which I will not be able to give you a figure, but some reasonable amount of funds, we have been able to freeze,” Olukoyede said.

    He explained that a majority of the transactions were conducted in cryptocurrency and routed through wallets outside Nigeria’s jurisdiction, complicating recovery efforts.

    “I will not sit down and tell you that we are going to restore every victim. It will become practically impossible because quite a certain amount of money has been dissipated and not within our system,” he said.

    “We have traced to three, four countries now. In fact, the principal parties behind the entire scheme… most of them are foreigners.”

    Olukoyede added that three suspects are currently in custody and have provided “very useful statements.” He also confirmed collaboration with foreign counterparts to recover stolen funds and apprehend suspects.

    In April, users of CBEX reported they could no longer access their funds, prompting widespread complaints. The Securities and Exchange Commission later revealed that the digital trading platform was unregistered.

    On April 30, the EFCC declared Elie Bitar, a foreign national, wanted in connection with the $1 billion investment scam. A federal high court in Abuja also granted the commission permission to arrest and detain six CBEX promoters.

    So far, at least eight Nigerians have also been declared wanted in relation to the scheme.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    The 2025 edition of AI Forum Nigeria will convene leading figures in business, technology and government to deliberate on the growing shift toward artificial...

    News

    AVEVA, a global leader in industrial software, driving digital transformation and sustainability, has won the 2025 Microsoft Manufacturing Partner of the Year Award. The...

    Tech

    Facebook will be live at this year’s AprokoNation Fiesta – Y2K Edition, with immersive health and wellness experiences that celebrate creativity and connection. The...

    E-Financial

    Fidelity Bank Plc has restated its commitment to advancing Nigeria’s oil and gas industry, with a strong focus on supporting indigenous operators. This was...