Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Sports

    Barcelona transferred €1million to a fraudster posing as Robert Lewandowski’s lawyer during his transfer in 2022 – Ravenewsonline

    Barcelona reportedly fell victim to a scam during the signing of Polish striker, Robert Lewandowski.

    The Spanish club were allegedly tricked into sending €1million (£830,000) to a fraudster, who pretended to be working with the agent of star striker Robert Lewandowski.

    Barca signed Lewandowski from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2022 for an initial fee of €45m (£37m). The Polish striker has banged in 71 goals in 106 matches for Barcelona since then to prove his worth to the team.

    Spanish outlet Cadena SER reported the club had received an email during the transfer, which was claimed to be from the forward’s agent Pini Zahavi.

    The email is said to have instructed the club to pay a €1million (£830,000) agent’s commission, before later making demands for two separate transfers of €250,000 (£208,000).

    The €1m payment had been requested to have been paid into the bank account of a lawyer instead of Zahavi, with the email providing details of the account.

    Barcelona are said to have paid the fee into a Bank of Cyprus account.

    The sum was reported to have been frozen with the payment considered suspicious due to the newly opened account.

    Barcelona reportedly came under pressure with another email sent urging them to lobby the bank to unfreeze the payment or risk being reported to football’s governing body FIFA.

    The bank account was ultimately closed after the bank contacted the club and the alleged scam had been exposed.

    Officials from Barcelona acknowledged to Cadena SER they had been deceived and the funds had been recovered.

    Zahavi revealed to the same publication that Barcelona had contacted him one month after the transfer to ask whether he had received the payment.

    The agent told the club he was unaware of the lawyer and that the email had not been from him.

    Barcelona contacted Zahavi again after it was confirmed the email and bank account were unconnected to him.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called for stronger collaboration with the judiciary to safeguard telecommunications infrastructure, tackle cybercrime and promote online safety amid Nigeria’s...

    News

    Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), acting as liquidator of the defunct Gulf Bank Plc, has instituted two separate suits against Wema Bank Plc over...

    Tech

    Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on Thursday said Nigerians consumed more than 1.42 million terabytes of data in March 2026, reflecting a rapid expansion of...

    Tech

    Upperlink has announced its collaboration with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO),...