Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Tech

    NCC Renews MTN’s License for Another 10 Years

    The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) has renewed the operating license of MTN, Nigeria’s largest telecommunications operator for another 10 years.

    The renewal covers the mobile operator’s license of its Unified Access Service (UAS) and spectrum for wireless local loop in the 900MHz and 1800MHz band, which is subject to license conditions including additional amount under discussion.

    This means that MTN Nigeria, which has the largest market share in the country, can continue to provide fixed wireless and mobile services subject to geographical and regional limitations contained in their licenses.

    The licence of MTN Nigeria had expired on August 31, 2021, though the organisation had earlier submitted requests to renew its licence.

    Mr Uto Ukpanah, Company Secretary, MTN Nigeria, in a statement on Wednesday, confirmed that the regulatory agency for the telecommunications industry in Nigeria, the NCC, has renewed its licence.

    The notice said it was given the authority to operate in the country legally from September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2031.

    According to the disclosure, the sum of N71.6 billion was paid for the licence, which was reportedly acknowledged by NCC for the spectrum license, along with a total of N374.6 million paid for the UAS license in the settlement of the commission’s invoice for the 10-year period.

    Mr Karl Toriola, CEO, MTN Nigeria, while commenting on the renewal, said that the company will continue to look forward to working with the NCC and the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy in enhancing the growth of Nigeria’s economy using technology.

    “Renewing our license for another 10 years is very important to our business and enables us to continue to provide service to ensure the benefit of modern connected life for our people.

    “MTN Nigeria is delighted with its strong partnership with the NCC,” Mr Toriola was quoted as saying in the statement.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    News

    Anambra State Police Command has apprehended four additional suspects linked to the brutal murder of three Cameroonian women, following confessions from two earlier detainees....