Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Mali and Burkina Faso announce reciprocal travel ban on US citizens

    Mali and Burkina Faso have announced reciprocal travel bans on US citizens in response to a similar measure imposed by the United States earlier this month.

    Mali and Burkina Faso announce reciprocal travel ban on US citizens

    Mali and Burkina Faso

    In separate statements newly released , the foreign ministries of both West African countries said the decision was taken in the spirit of “reciprocity” after the White House announced on December 16 that US President Donald Trump had added them, along with five other countries, to a list subject to a full travel ban.

    According to the White House, the expanded ban, which is set to take effect on January 1, applies to countries deemed to have “persistent and severe deficiencies in screening, vetting and information-sharing” that could pose national security and public safety risks.

    Mali criticised Washington’s decision, stating that it was taken without prior consultation and argued that the justification for the ban was not supported by realities on the ground.

    Mali and Burkina Faso are not the first countries to respond with countermeasures after being affected by US travel restrictions. On December 25, neighbouring Niger announced it would stop issuing visas to US citizens, according to state media, citing a diplomatic source.

    Earlier in June, Chad also suspended visa issuance to US citizens after it was included on a previous list of countries affected by similar travel restrictions.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    News

    Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO), has warned that rising cases of organ failure and cardiovascular diseases in Nigeria may stem from consuming...

    News

    United States government has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having links to Boko Haram and the Islamic State of...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...