Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Buhari Sacks Management of AEDC over Strike by Staff

    President Muhammadu Buhari has sacked the management of Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) over Monday’s strike by the staff.

    Buhari Sacks Management of AEDC over Strike by Staff

    A statement from the office of Goddy Jeddy-Agba, minister of State Power, in Abuja on Tuesday said the sack was conveyed by the presidency to the Federal Ministry of Power takes immediate effect.

    The statement said that a new interim governing board had been appointed to oversee the day-to-day operations of the distribution company.

    It said, “Following the recent industrial action embarked on by its staff over non-payment of arrears of pensions, allowances, salaries and promotion.

    “The Minister of Power, Aliyu Abubakar and the Minister of State Power, Goddy Jedy Agba had earlier on intervened through dialogue with the ministry of labour.

    “Bureau of Public Enterprise, and the Nigerian union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), to resolve and call off the 14 hours strike action.”

    The statement recalled that the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Kogi, Nasarawa, Kaduna and parts of Edo were in total black out between 7 am to about 8 pm on Monday following the industrial action.

    It said the presidential directives as conveyed had also directed the Bureau of Public Enterprises to set up a new management team for the AEDC,

    “However in a memorandum of understanding MOU, jointly signed by the Minister of state power Goddy Jedy Agba, the chairman Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission NERC, Sanusi Garba.

    “Director-General Bureau of Public Enterprises, Alex Okoli, Joe Ajaero on behalf of the union.

    “The Federal Government has ordered the suspension of the strike, given 21 days within which the outstanding emoluments and entitlements of staff will be paid.

    “Government has described the non-performance and incompetence of the AEDC as a national embarrassment, saying the suspension of the management team subsists until further notice.” it said.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    Tech

    GigaLayer, a prominent player in Africa’s cloud infrastructure and domain services sector, has announced the acquisition of Registeram, a Nigerian domain registration and hosting...