Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Politics

    Anambra Polls: INEC Denies Mass Resignation of Ad-hoc Officials

    The Independent National Electoral Commission says it has adequate manpower for the conduct of November 6 governorship election in Anambra.

    INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner in Anambra State, Nwachukwu Orji, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Awka.

    Orji, who was reacting to viral media report that hundreds of adhoc workers recruited for the Anambra election resigned en-masse, said there was no truth in the publication.

    “INEC is still in the process of recruiting the adhoc workers, in fact we just finished the last training before this false report.

    “As the head of the commission in Anambra, I am telling you authoritatively that we have more than enough manpower for the conduct of the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra,” he said.

    The INEC official explained that none of the adhoc workers being recruited had been given engagement letter.

    “If we have not issued letters to them, how then can any of them resign?” he wondered.

    Orji said it was unfair for the mass media to be aiding publications capable of causing more tension in the polity.

    He said that a lot of people in the country were looking for work to do so as to improve their lives, adding that it was bad to publish stories capable of frightening the poor masses.

    “Taking INEC jobs during elections has been one means for people who do not have permanent jobs to earn little money. Publishing negative report that will scare them is so bad,” Orji said.

    (NAN)

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    Three suspects have appeared before the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court facing charges of aggravated robbery and premeditated murder in connection with the killing of 22-year-old...

    News

    Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, at the Federal High Court in Abuja over the...

    News

    Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has launched an immediate investigation into the data processing activities of popular e-commerce platform Temu, amid allegations of violating...

    News

    National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji to smuggle 1.10 kilograms of cocaine to...