Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Qatar Pledges $500m for Gaza Reconstruction

    Qatar announced Wednesday it would provide $500 million for Gaza’s reconstruction after the Palestinian enclave was battered by Israeli air strikes in 11 days of hostilities between the Jewish state and armed Palestinian groups.

    “The state of Qatar announces $500 million in support for the reconstruction of Gaza,” Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani tweeted.

    Qatar is a key backer of the Islamist group Hamas that controls the Gaza Strip.

    The funds aim to help Gazans “face the life challenges posed by the recent Israeli attacks, and to contribute to the reconstruction of service facilities in Gaza… in addition to the homes that were destroyed”, the official QNA news agency said.

    The worst exchange of fire in years between Israel and armed Palestinian groups in the enclave started May 10 after clashes in Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque compound, Islam’s third holiest site, which is also revered by Jews as the Temple Mount.

    In 11 days of fighting, Israeli air strikes and artillery fire on Gaza killed 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, and wounded more than 1,900 people the health ministry in Gaza says.

    Rocket and other fire from Gaza claimed 12 lives in Israel, including one child and an Arab-Israeli teenager, an Israeli soldier, one Indian national and two Thai workers, medics say. Some 357 people in Israel were wounded.

    Diplomatic efforts are underway to solidify a fragile Egypt-brokered truce that halted the fighting, with plans to rebuild the Gaza Strip where Israeli air strikes damaged infrastructure and levelled buildings.

    Cairo last week also pledged $500 million towards reconstruction in the Palestinian enclave, which has been under Israeli blockade for nearly 15 years.

    (AFP)

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    Metro

    Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction of Janet Theophilus Danjuma, a bank employee, for defrauding an investor of N22,350,000 through...