Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Sports

    Dani Alves Ex-Barcelona Star to Face Trial for Rape

    Dani Alves
    Dani Alves

    Brazilian defender Dani Alves will be tried on sexual assault charges in Spain, the high court of Catalonia told AFP on Monday, July 31.

    The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star was detained in January after being accused of raping a young woman in the bathroom of a nightclub in late December.

    The court said a date for the trial had not yet been set.

    The 40-year-old Brazilian has been held in custody without bail because the court investigating him felt there was a risk he would try to flee.

    When the story first broke, Alves in a television interview initially denied knowing the woman. But when questioned by investigators after his arrest, he changed his story, insisting that they had had consensual relations. Alves, who could face up to 12 years in jail if found guilty, defended his innocence in an interview published in June, saying he has a “clear conscience”.

    “I have a really clear conscience regarding what happened that night in the bathroom of the VIP area of the Sutton nightclub,” he told daily newspaper La Vanguardia in his first interview since his arrest. “What happened and what didn’t happen. And what didn’t happen is that I forced this woman to do anything that we did,” he added.

    He told La Vanguardia that he had lied at first because he was afraid his wife would leave him if he admitted he had been with another woman. At the time of the incident, Alves was on holiday in Barcelona after playing for Brazil at the World Cup in Qatar.

    After his arrest, Alves, who is being held in the Brians penitentiary complex outside Barcelona, was sacked by his Mexican club Pumas UNAM.

    In a highly successful career, Alves won 42 football titles, including three Champions Leagues with Barcelona and two Copa Americas with Brazil.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has launched an immediate investigation into the data processing activities of popular e-commerce platform Temu, amid allegations of violating...

    Opinion

    By Eunice Omokaro Africa’s foremost tech icon and Chairman of Zinox Group,  Leo Stan Ekeh, who turns 70 on February 22, this year, has...

    Sports

    Organizers of the 2026 Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics are rushing to replenish free condom stocks at the Athletes’ Village after an initial 10,000 units vanished...

    News

    National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji to smuggle 1.10 kilograms of cocaine to...