Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Tinubu Withdraws Maryam Sanda’s Pardon, Convict to Serve Remaining Jail Term

    President Bola Tinubu has withdrawn the presidential pardon previously granted to Maryam Sanda, who was convicted in 2020 for the murder of her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.

    The decision was announced following a review of the clemency list submitted to the Presidency, with the President directing that individuals convicted of heinous crimes such as murder, armed robbery, and kidnapping be excluded from executive pardon.

    Sanda, whose death sentence was earlier commuted to 12 years imprisonment, has already served six years and eight months at the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre in Niger State. She is now expected to complete the remainder of her sentence.

    Presidential Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, said the President’s directive was aimed at restoring public confidence in the justice system and ensuring that clemency is not extended to convicts whose crimes threaten public safety.

    “The President has ordered the relocation of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Prerogative of Mercy to the Ministry of Justice, and directed that future recommendations must involve consultations with relevant law enforcement and anti-corruption agencies,” Onanuga stated.

    He added that the President’s decision reflects a commitment to justice, national security, and the rule of law.

    Maryam Sanda was convicted by a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja for stabbing her husband to death during a domestic dispute in 2017. Her conviction drew widespread public attention and debate over gender-based violence and judicial accountability.

     

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    ad

    You May Also Like

    News

    National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji to smuggle 1.10 kilograms of cocaine to...

    Tech

    Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX) hosted its annual Made of Africa (MOA) 2025 Awards on Monday, February 4, 2026. The event, held during the NGX...

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    News

    Fawaz Al-Hawasi, Millionaire businessman was left injured after masked intruders forced their way into his Mayfair mansion in what is believed to have been...