Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    News

    Musk’s X to Appeal India’s Content Removal Order Over Censorship Concerns

    X
    X

    Social media platform X has announced plans to appeal a ruling by the High Court of Karnataka which upheld India’s government-run content removal system, Sahyog.

    The company described the decision as a threat to free expression and vowed to continue its legal challenge.

    In a statement issued on Monday, September 29, X said the ruling permits more than two million police officers across India to issue takedown requests through the Sahyog portal without judicial oversight.

    The platform argued that the system allows content to be removed based solely on allegations of illegality, exposing social media companies to criminal liability if they fail to comply.

    “We will appeal this order to defend free expression,” the company said, marking its first public response since the court dismissed its petition last week.

    The Sahyog portal, launched in October 2023, enables law enforcement officers to file takedown requests directly to digital platforms.

    The Indian government maintains that the system is necessary to curb unlawful content and promote accountability online.

    However, rights groups and digital freedom advocates have raised concerns about the framework, warning that it could be used to suppress dissent and limit online speech.

    X, owned by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, has previously accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration of censorship and regulatory overreach.

    The company’s legal challenge in India is among its most aggressive efforts globally to resist government-imposed content controls.

    The dispute comes amid broader tensions between X and governments around the world over compliance with takedown orders.

    In India, the case is expected to shape future debates on internet regulation and the limits of state power in the digital space.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    Tech

    GigaLayer, a prominent player in Africa’s cloud infrastructure and domain services sector, has announced the acquisition of Registeram, a Nigerian domain registration and hosting...