Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Sports

    FIFA to pay World Cup prize money directly to players

    Super Falcons

    World football body FIFA has announced its plan to pay prize money directly into the players’ accounts of the winners of the ongoing women’s World Cup in Australia/New Zealand.

    FIFA Secretary-General, Fatma Samoura, confirmed this in a viral video on social media saying the policy change is due to unpaid allowance issues involving Nigeria’s Super Falcons.

    The Falcons head coach, Randy Waldrum, had earlier revealed that some players were owed “per diem and bonuses” from two years ago.

    The development caused a stir and almost affected the preparation of the Super Falcon players with most of them insisting on missing the training to protest their unpaid bonuses.

    However, in the video, Samoura acknowledged that “things have been tough” for the Falcons.

    She added that FIFA for the first time would monitor that match bonuses got to the players directly.

    “I know that things have been tough. We have to face the realities of Nigeria. It pains me a lot. It is because of you (the Super Falcons) that, for the first time, the prize money has been ring-fenced in the history of FIFA to ensure that it goes to you,” the FIFA secretary-general said.

    FIFA had announced that every player participating in the World Cup group stage would earn $30,000.

    The match bonuses will increase to $60,000 in the second round of the competition.

    Loading

    Spread the love
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like

    Tech

    Federal Government has said it will conduct a comprehensive review of the proposed $6.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, citing the...

    E-Financial

    Debt Management Office (DMO) plans to raise ₦800 billion through Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) bonds in February 2026, a 128.6% jump from the...

    Tech

    Members of the Association of Telecom Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) visited the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) headquarters on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to strengthen...

    Tech

    Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday adjourned the $150 million dollars suit filed by Chianugo Peter, a Nigerian, against Google LLC and GoDaddy.com...